Saturday, March 2, 2019

You are my sunshine...

Exactly 3 months ago today we had to put the girls in their beds at the orphanage, say goodbye and walk out the doors of the orphanage. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. My heart felt like it was broken. The girls were ok...we left, but the rest of their world was in tact just as it had always been. Same routine, same nannies, same kids at the orphanage, same food. But we left with a hole in our hearts. We loved these girls before we even knew who they were, and we fell head over heels for them over the 15 days we spent with them in Haiti. We got to know their little personalities and quirks, their little expressions and mannerisms. It felt so wrong to try to go back to "normal" life and leave them behind.

Mark and his mom got to go visit the girls last month, and hopefully I'll get a chance to hold them next month (if things continue to improve in Haiti)...but today I felt like I had to write something to recognize the longing I've had to hold them everyday for the last 3 months.

Two things just recently happened that made me happy/sad cry...one was that I got a picture and video clip from a mama who just went to Haiti to pick up her daughters (from the same orphanage). It was unexpected and wonderful and it meant so much to hear her tell me about our girls.

The other thing was that Mark's Aunt Nancy (you know those family friends that you grow up with them having the honorary title of Aunt even when you're not related)...she gave us these sweet gifts for the girls. Little dolls and blankets that say "You are My Sunshine" on them. First of all it was just so thoughtful, secondly that song. I'm sure lots of parents & grandparents have crooned that sweet bedtime song to children they love like me...but I also remember posting about the second verse and chorus striking me differently a few years ago after a dream I had. It resonates even more poignantly now. Let me post it below...
"The other night dear when I was sleeping, I dreamt I held you in my arms. When I awoke dear, I was mistaken, so I hung my head down and cried. You are my sunshine my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are gray. You'll never know dear how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."
I can't wait for the day that I can sing that song to these girls, tuck them in and just walk across the hall to my own bed. That I can see their beautiful faces first thing the next morning.

They really are beautiful rays of sunshine. And I miss them so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment