Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Didn't we just do this?

I swear that we just barely updated our paperwork. Didn't we?? But it's time (again). I was feeling the push to get it done and in today, so after finishing our BCI application paperwork and home study renewal application I drove to Mark's office for him to sign them (rather than leave the papers sitting on the counter for heaven knows how long before we remember for him to do it). I have the luxury of having our adoption agency close by too so I just drove the papers and our check to their office after Mark signed.  It's good that I took my slightly frustrated, but mostly "meh - doing this again" photo before dropping of the papers...because afterward I had much more of a crazy pulling my hair out look going on.
So, when I turned the papers in at our agency I asked the woman at the front desk if she could submit our BCIs today and she said yes, but that they are backlogged and taking 8-9 weeks right now. Not her fault, but 'say what??'? Our I800a approval (and fingerprints) expire in 9 weeks. If we can't mail in our I800a update application until our home study is done...and our home study can't be finalized without the BCI then we are just at a grid-lock waiting for those BCI's to come back! So if those roll in at 9 weeks and we overnight everything to USCIS it could still take a month or two to process that...and during that month or two we won't be able to accept a referral! Arrrrgh!  Apparently the FBI is training a whole bunch of new people how to process background checks so they have gotten really back-logged.

People! I'm just so frustrated. In a month and 3 days it will be 5 years since we turned in our initial application to start this process. Five years! In that time we have processed so much paperwork. I just want our referral. I want to see our daughter's face. I want to know her. To hold her. Maybe this paper chase issue will all turn out ok, but at this point my tolerance for more bumps in the road on THIS side of the adoption process (meaning before meeting her) feels thin. I know there will be a lot more issues processing paperwork after meeting her...all the more reason I want to get to that point in the process.

Honestly, I can't decide if I'm more worried that our referral will come during that gap of time that we aren't able to accept a referral...or if I'm more worried that another 5 or 6 months could go by without any word of a referral.

I'm just weary.

No comments:

Post a Comment